Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Change is inevitable as we all know, and the older we get, the more change we've experienced. I am fully aware of the fact that the changes gone on in my life so far are only a drop in the bucket compared to the ones that lie ahead. I wonder what those will be? More job changes? Moving? A financial windfall? More kids are out of the question (almost medically impossible), but what about more nieces and nephews? Different hair colour? New cars? There's no point in even guessing, because only one thing is for certain where this subject is concerned, and that is the fact that more changes will take place.

The biggest change in my life right now is my job. I am no longer with RBC's "Contact Centre", which is a glorified term for a call centre. I made the break a week and a half ago when I was offered a position with another bank's training program to become a Personal Banking Officer. The difference between the two jobs is that one involved being chained to a desk talking to faceless customers and listening to their bullshit, one after another, day after day, realizing that there is no difference between any of them, really. It got to the point where I could predict what each customer was going to say before they started talking. The new job will be far more plesant meeting people face to face and doing their banking for them. It will be far more personalized, and it will do wonders for me personally. It will be more challenging and rewarding, and it will provide alot of opportunity for advancement. I know that last part sounded like a want ad, but it's true. I'm nervous, excited, scared, anxious, as well as proud of myself for taking the plunge to do something more meaningful career-wise. The part that scares me the most are the courses I'll need to take in order to actually perform this type of job. I'll need to become licensed to sell investments (mutual funds, etc.), and this scares the shit out of me. I'm so worried that I'm not going to "get it" and then I'll have to look for another call centre job, which is the last thing I want to do. The worst part is the first day of a new job. Everyone knows this feeling, and I hope to hell that I never have to experience another first day again after this. I would love to start a lifelong career at this and actually retire from the same job. When I'm 50. That only gives me 15 years, so I know that's pretty doubtful. Okay...60. At the latest. Which brings me to my next topic.

Today is my 35th birthday. Yes, that's right, I'm 29. I can't believe I'm almost 30! Seriously though, being 35 isn't upsetting me, it's the fact that in five years I'll be 40 that's making me crazy. Five years goes by pretty quickly. Kenny and I have been together for 7 years now, so another 5 is nothing. Jake will be almost 9, Kelsey will be 16, and I'll be 40?? That's stupid. I don't have to worry about it yet, so I'll just enjoy being a cougar as long as I can.

That's it for now. Hopefully my next post won't be too much longer.

I'll post about my first day at my new job. Maybe.

5 Comments:

At Thursday, June 01, 2006 9:08:00 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Changes are scary I am with you on that one! But it is usually a good thing. You will do great at your new job. As for the courses.. are you kidding me?? You are one of the smartest people I know.. you wont have anything to worry about!! Enjoy the next few days off, take Jake to daycare.. watche him cry for you (lol) and relax and dont worry about anything.

 
At Monday, June 12, 2006 10:10:00 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Update plse!!

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:02:00 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Update plse!! I dont talk to you anymore this is how I will get to know whats happening in your life!! LOL...

 
At Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:16:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Ditto...or is it dido?

 
At Monday, July 03, 2006 7:14:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

You didnt blog all of June what the fuck?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home