Saturday, April 29, 2006

Kelsey Has To Stop Being Shellfish

Well, we had to find out the hard way that Kelsey has an allergy to shellfish, or so it seems. For sure shellfish, possibly seafood in general. She had a reaction after she ate some fries that were probably cross contaminated with seafood after being fried in the same oil. She has never reacted like this to any food before, although in the past every time she has eaten any kind of fish or seafood, particularly shrimp, she has gotten a stomach ache, and has even thrown up afterwards. Last night's reaction involved lip swelling and tongue tingling. Not good. I gave her some antihistamine as it was happening, and it started to calm it all down. We (me and my mom) took her to emergency because I don't know alot about anaphylactic reactions, and thought it would be a good idea since this was her first one, to have her assessed by a doctor. As it turned out, she had to stay for observation for 4 hours because apparently after antihistamine has been taken, the reaction can come back. So, they just wanted to make sure she was okay before sending her home. All was well, and she's fine today.

She has to carry around an epi-pen and antihistamine with her at all times now, because who knows if she has another reaction how bad it will be. After I told the doctor about the stomach aches and vomiting in the past after eating seafood, she said it makes total sense that she had the reaction she did last night, so it was pretty much confirmed that she has this allergy. We now need to take her for some formal testing to find out what else poor Kelsey is allergic to. We picked up the epi-pen today, received instructions from the pharmacist as to how to use it, and now I need to write a note to the school, and Kelsey is now amongst the group of "special" kids with allergies at her school. Whatever. As long as we know and are prepared in case it happens again.

I'm just glad it happened the way it did. It was weird because I was eating crab (not crap) and shrimp for dinner, and kept trying to coax her into trying a bite of the crab, but she wouldn't have anything to do with it. I keep wondering what the hell would have happened if she actually ingested a bite of the actual meat. Scary.

I was really scared. I've never had to deal with anything like this before, and if it had been a worse reaction, I don't know what I would have done. I think I held it together pretty good in front of her, but I think if it had been any worse, an ambulance would have been called.

I know she's allergic to penicillin, rabbits, and now shellfish. She also gets stomach aches after she's eaten ranch salad dressing, so maybe she has an allergy to an ingredient in that. I'll make an appointment to go and see her doctor, and she'll be referred to an allergist from there. And THEN she'll be wearing a piece of Medic Alert jewellery at all times.

God already with doctors and hospitals and medicine and sicknesses in this damn house!!!!!!! Jake on an ongoing basis, Kenny at the start of this month and he's still not any better (still don't know what's wrong with him), me with my sinus infection and asthma, and now Kelsey and her allergies. When does it stop? If anyone knows, could you please tell me so I have an idea? Thanks.

No wonder I'm in a pissed off mood today and completely exhausted. I think I've had enough.

Oh yeah. I won $10 on Super 7 last night.

12 Comments:

At Sunday, April 30, 2006 2:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"eating crap and shrimp for dinner"

I would'nt have wanted to eat the CRAP off your plate either

 
At Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate non anonymous comments. At least other people comment on other peoples blogs. I think its cool.

 
At Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Poor Kelsey! Its a scary thing when it comes to food allergies! I am glad I wasnt there.. I would have been passed out on the floor. I didnt react well with Amy's reaction!!!

 
At Monday, May 01, 2006 3:56:00 PM, Blogger All Nob said...

A good garlic sandwich fixes all that ails... tell her to try.

What's the worse thing that could happen... JJ breath.

 
At Monday, May 01, 2006 10:09:00 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

I re read your post and I didnt see that you won $7!! I am sorry.. i think my ulcer is acting up cause I didnt respond to that.. are we ok??

 
At Monday, May 01, 2006 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Char said...

hahahahahaha!!! Crap!! I had crap for dinner!! I didn't even realize I typed that....silly me! I was pretty effen tired that day. Hey anonymous, whoever you are, you'd LOVE my crap!

 
At Monday, May 01, 2006 10:23:00 PM, Blogger Char said...

LOL JJ breath!!! HAHAHA!! That's funny. I'll give her garlic sandwiches for lunch on the opposite days she has ketchup sandwiches. I wonder what the combination of garlic sandwiches and hard boiled eggs would do to her besides make her stink pretty bad?

Poor Kels.

 
At Monday, May 01, 2006 10:33:00 PM, Blogger Char said...

Oh yeah, Jenn...I think so. And it was TEN dollars, not SEVEN. Come on.

 
At Monday, May 01, 2006 10:34:00 PM, Blogger Char said...

I don't mind anonymous comments. As long as they're nice :)

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:04:00 AM, Blogger Char said...

Where did anonymous go?

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 8:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gramma was scared too.

 
At Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:47:00 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

My bad Char.. ooooooohhhhhh... my ulcer!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home