Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Kelsey


...brought home her report card from school today, and I couldn't be more impressed. Her marks all went up from her last report, and the teacher's comments were amazing! It wasn't like that so much during the first term, but what a HUGE improvement this time. Not that her last one was bad by any means, but this is her teacher's first class after graduating from university (or "teacher's college" according to more historic times), so I think she was also trying to settle in and establish herself a little bit. In other words, Kelsey's class is an experiment to her. I'm just kidding...

I wasn't actually sure why there are 4 possible grades that can be given out, 1 being the lowest, and 4 being the highest, when we have always been told by teachers, "we don't give out 4s". Why not? Why have them then? Nothing like restricting a kid's confidence. (She got one 4 on this report, by the way).

I have had a few issues with Kelsey's schooling this year, and this is the first year that has happened. I don't think I'm being unreasonable with my opinions, but at the same time I don't want to be "one of those parents". So, I will pick and choose what I formally bring to anyone's attention. I like to stir the pot every now and then, but not if it will have a negative impact on Kelsey.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the years ahead once she's out of Riverview and has more exposure to various teaching styles. I know not all of them will be ideal (reference Mr. Dunbar's Grade 11 English class for anyone who remembers that fiasco), but it will prove interesting to see how she is able to handle the variations. I know Kelsey will always do well in school (no pressure), but I really think she needs to grow from where she's at now. I'm not saying she's too good for the school she's in, but she needs a change, and she'll be more than ready after next year.

When I think about what I just said, that will mean I have a child in frickin JUNIOR HIGH!!!!! I'm about to throw up at the thought of that. But, as long as she stays focused, and involved in at least basketball, she'll do alright. I do have a certain level of expectation of Kelsey, but nothing unreasonable that will turn her off of school by the time she's 14.

Anyway, I was very proud of her today, and she will be rewarded for her hard work.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 21, 2006 8:14:00 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Way to go Kelsey!! She's so smart!!!

 
At Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kelsey!!! Very proud of this girl. She is smart, funny, good looking...oh ya she is my Granddaughter. Answers a whole bunch. Kidding aside this is one person who makes everyone proud to know her. Love ya Kews. XOXOXOXO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home