Saturday, February 11, 2006

'Tis The Season


It seems as though in our family there are a few "seasons". There are two birthday seasons - the February season and the October season. Then there is of course the Christmas season. Right now we're coming to a close on the February birthday season. Kelsey, Jenn and Mom. Tonight should be the final occasion for this birthday season as Kelsey is having her party with her friends. There will be five 10 and 11-year-olds sleeping over at our house tonight. This means 5 girls who normally get along with no issues, except (I'm predicting here) for tonight, and I'm going to have to be the referree. I hope like crazy nothing happens, but it's just a recipe for disaster. One of the girls is so unbelievably sensitive, one doesn't see them as much any more because for the first time since Kindergarten, she is not in their class, one thinks she is better than everyone, and two of them are very mature for their age and don't do anything to rock the boat, so to speak. Should be interesting. I could be way off here, and quite possibly there won't be an incident to speak of. I'm imagining fighting over what movies to watch, what songs to sing karaoke to, who has been hogging the microphone, and who sounds really bad. I know Kelsey isn't thinking this at all, but as a parent, I can smell it. I can only hope the night goes off without incident, the girls have a blast, and no one needs me to call their parents in the middle of the night because they're either sick, or miss their own bed. Yes, believe it or not, it still happens at this age.

I don't think I've ever seen a group of kids so babied and spoiled as I have with this group. Not necessarily only these ones, but the others they go to school with as well. It's too bad really. It's to the point where the young teens in the area won't babysit any child who is under the age of 4, because they don't want to have to change a diaper. Give me a break! I dont' know of any of Kelsey's friends who have chores, or any responsibility. Kelsey is somewhat a part of that group, I do admit, but she has some responsibility where her brother is concerned.

Anyway, I'm just thankful that this group of kids are extremely nice, polite, and respectful, and I have no problem with Kelsey being friends with any of them. Kelsey is a good enough judge of character, and has strong enough opinions to not hang out with people she is not fond of, or who are not the best influences. So far, I don't have to worry about that.

So that's Birthday Season #1 of the year.

The next one comes around in October - Amy, Jarret and Jake. So far, we haven't had to go through any issues with kid birthday parties for Jake and his friends, but I know that's soon around the corner. He'll be starting school this fall, and I'm sure the invitations will start coming in the same as they did for Kelsey.

We actually have a third Birthday Season in November that we don't think of in that way because all three birthdays are for adults in the family. Kenny, Grandma, and Denise. It doesn't mean they're less important birthdays, but we don't normally have a party for the adults, unless they're turning 80, right Grandma? (I know she'll probably never see this blog, but I had to say that anyway).

I don't know about anyone else, but I love my birthday. I always have, and I'm sure I always will. I know I whine and complain sometimes about getting older, but when it comes to my actual birthday (I think it's May 30th if I'm not mistaken........Mom...?) I look forward to it. Maybe because it's one day out of the year that really is about me, and I don't have to feel guilty about it.

Anyway, birthdays are very special days, and it seems to me like there are more and more for people we know these days. EVERYONE is having babies...it's so awesome, but it's like an epidemic. Jenn knows one person who just had a baby, and someone else who is expecting, Chris & Denise know someone who is expecting, we know someone as well...it's crazy, but in a good way. Babies are good.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:06:00 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

You are suppose to feel guilty when thinking EVERYTHING is about you?? Ooops.. I better work on that. I like how you put that we have birthday seasons in our family.. no doubt!! Yes babies are good.. we need more in the family dont you think?/

 
At Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:33:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Emma can sing "Happy Birthday".
No more babies ...they cost too much.
anyway im off to read your other novels since my puter is fixed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home