Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Day Two

Jake and I headed out at 8:30 this morning on what is going to be our daily walk to day care. He had a hard time when I was leaving today. He was trying to say that he wanted to play the Dora Game, but he was all choked up and could hardly get the words out. Not a nice way to leave him there. One of the workers went to him and was trying to get him to play as I was leaving. He told me he wanted me to stay for a "big minute". But I held it together and walked home with my empty sled blowing in the wind behind me.

Anyway, I'm not leaving him there all day today because I knew he'd have a harder time today than he did yesterday. I just know him, and we'll have to work up to a full day. I might just do the half days for this week and see what happens. Mind you, walking at 8:30 and then again at 11:30...it doesn't give me much time to have a nap. I'm so tired, but I'm thinking since I have time alone here that I should clean something. I guess I could always do that later. Apparently it's not going anywhere.

It's nice to see a bit of sunshine out there this morning. The gloominess is getting to be too much. I just don't want the cold weather that usually goes along with sunny skies in the winter. I suppose I should just stop whining about it since I can't do anything about it anyway.

As usual, I'm counting the number of shifts I have left at work until my weekend. And right now, it's two. Tonight and tomorrow and then I'm off until Sunday. This evening shift is really killing me. It's been 3 months, and I'm still not used to it. I don't think I ever will be. May 1 won't come fast enough. I'll for sure be working days by then, and I'll feel more human than I've felt in a long time I'm sure. It's fun getting 4 1/2 hours of sleep every night. I might miss that.

I guess the topic of conversation all over the country today is yeserday's election. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really glad it's over. All the phone calls that we have been receiving from the various parties (mostly PC) are finally going to stop. I called home on my break last night and was talking to Kenny. He said that someone from the NDPs called him at about 7:45 or so asking if he'd had a chance to make it to the polls to vote. He apologized and said that he did not as he worked late and then his wife (that would be me) had to get to work, but that she (being me again) voted earlier. The person on the phone then asked Kenny if he would like someone to come and pick him up and take him to vote because there was still time. He declined the offer explaining that his kids were in bed so he couldn't leave the house. The person on the phone said that if he didn't mind, someone from their party could come and sit with the kids while he went to vote. I'm not even going to comment on that one.

We were getting phone calls from the PCs on a regular basis over the last 3 weeks. When the advance polls opened, a message was left on our voice mail, "Hello, Charlene!!! This is so-and-so from Michael Richards' / Stephen Harper's party calling!! (the guy was extremely enthusiastic) The advance polls are open today!! If you need assistance getting out to vote, please call me back at ### (whatever number), and we'd be more than happy to come and pick you up!!" It was relentless this year. We had candidates coming to our door and everything. I don't mind so much when it's going on, but towards the end of it all it becomes enough.

Maybe the PCs had it right.....call everyone as often as you can. Not enough to annoy the general population, but enough to make the candidate's name stick in someone's mind. To some people who don't know much about the various parties but only know there's an election coming up, if they hear "PC" or "Conservative" enough times, maybe that would be sufficient for them to decide to vote that way. I think the word "Conservative" gives people a feeling of safety if they don't know any better. Pure marketing. Now all we can do is watch what happens.

Have a great day everyone....


At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:36:00 PM, Anonymous Gramma of 5 said...

At least the calls you got were for people running in your constituency. I got 2 calls both from people running in my old area. I did, though, have the PC candidate knock very loudly (scared me silly) at my door last Friday. She was very pleasant and was the only one that bothered. I was tempted...I live in Blaikie territory. Unless you are "Orange" you don't stand a chance until Mr. B chooses to leave politics.

Anyway that was my experience with campaign 2006.

It is too bad that kids don't understand that they really do like Day Care. They all seem to have a great time and they are (for the most part) really well taken care of. I think Day Care people are under estimated. Most do a great job. I think it is like going to school and Jake really is ready for that kind of stuff. He loves being with other kids and doing all kinds of things.

Hang in Char, it will all fall into place. Sometimes there needs to be some re-jigging, but it will work out.

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:24:00 PM, Blogger rubbing said...

I laffed and laffed at when you said you walked home with ...holy shit im laffing right now....your tobagan blowing in the wind....
I bet it took you a shorter time to type your post than it did me to read it.
your the canada post typing champ in my eyes ...

At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:34:00 AM, Blogger Char said...

Oh yeah, it was blowing all around behind me...I was even pulling it upside-down for a while. I had to finally stop and turn it over because it looks funny enough pulling an empty sled, never mind an upside-down one. I'm sure the kids on patrol from Lord Roberts School point and laugh at me as I pass them. I'd be too tired to even scare them if I overheard them.

I still put on my resume when applying for jobs that I came in second in that Canada Post competition. Umm..I mean, I say I won the silver.

At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:38:00 AM, Blogger Char said...

I know...he cried when I left him there, but when it was time to go home and he saw the kids' lunches being served, he looked around and said, "Which one is mine?" I told him we were going home for lunch, and he wanted to stay. So, he's staying on Wednesday. For the whole day. We'll see how he makes out. I know how I'll make out....awesome because I'll be able to nap as long as I want! I cannot wait!!!!!!

The workers there seem great so far, and he listens to them, so maybe this structure thing will be good for him. I can't see it being bad. It's a different environment than a home day care, and I think it's one that Jake needs to be in. I really think he'll learn alot. Including how to dress himself. It's going to be good as long as he can stay healthy for a few months at a time.


Post a Comment

<< Home